Installation problem

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Hello,

to solve the problem described in thread http://specsharp.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=223121 , I logged in as root and removed Spec# using the explorer. Then I re-installed Spec# as described in http://specsharp.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Binaries&referringTitle=Home. Now I'm unable to open any of my Spec#-projects from VS. VS complains that files of type .sscproj aren't supported. Also, I can't create new Spec# projects. This happens when I'm logged in as normal user and also when logged in as root.

I use VS 2008 on Windows 7.

Regards,

Boris

Developer
Oct 8, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Hi Boris

I have just reinstalled Spec# as described in http://specsharp.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Binaries&referringTitle=Home and I have exactly the same problem as you describe. Have you been able to solve the problem?

Rosemary

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Rosemary and Mike worked to figure out that there are two separate problems:  creating new projects and opening projects.

For the problem of creating new Spec# projects, Mike noticed that some files are missing from the Spec# installation .zip file.  We're working on producing a new such .zip file (but ran into some problems now that Boogie compiles from C#).  In the meantime, here's a workaround:  Get the contents of the directory tree rooted at SpecSharp\Microsoft.SpecSharp\Templates (you can get these from the Source tab here in codeplex).  Copy this tree to a directory to become a sibling directory of the directory where you put the Spec# binaries.

The problem of not being able to open Spec# projects is more mysterious and we are not able to reproduce it here.  On a clean machine running Windows 7 (64-bit), I installed Visual Studio 2008 Professional and installed the binary Spec# distribution from codeplex.  Spec# projects then open without problems.  I then added the Templates directory as described above, and then I'm also able to create new Spec# projects.

Rustan

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I'll try to reinstall Spec# with the upcoming installation .zip file. Since there is no uninstaller, what is the correct procedure to uninstall Spec# before doing a clean reinstall? Should I also reinstall Z3?

Boris

Developer
Oct 12, 2010 at 10:15 AM
Hi Boris

When you install the new version of Spec# run clean.cmd before running register.cmd. You should not need to reinstall Z3. I had some problems with the newest version of Z3 (v2.12). Version 2.11 works fine.

Rosemary
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I incorporated the needed Templates directory into the .zip file that you get from the binary distribution.  Previously, the binaries were in the root directory of that folder; now, they are in a subdirectory called Binaries.  Note, you need to make the Templates directory be a sibling directory of Binaries in order for Spec# to find them.

This updated release thus addresses the problem with creating new Spec# projects from within Visual Studio.  We are still not able to reproduce the other problem with opening Spec# solutions.

Rustan

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Ok, I logged in as root, removed C:\Program Files\SpecSharp, extracted SpecSharp-2010-10-13.zip to C:\Program Files\SpecSharp, ran clean.cmd and then register.cmd from a VisualStudio command prompt, executed as Administrator. Then I logged out and logged in as normal user.  I'm still unable to open any Spec# project from VS 2008. VS complains that files of type .sscproj aren't supported. However, Spec# projects are listed as project type in File->New->Project. Nonetheless, trying to create a new Spec# project results in an error message "C:\Program Files\SpecSharp\Templates\Projects\ConsoleApplication.sscproj" cannot be opened because this project type (.sscproj) is not supported". I verified that C:\Program Files\SpecSharp\Templates\Projects\ConsoleApplication.sscproj exists and I have read and execute permissions.

Boris

Developer
Oct 14, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Unfortunately, I report the same problem as Boris with VS 2008 on Windows 7. Both the July release of Spec#  (with the templates workaround) and the October release do not allow me to open Spec# projects (.sscproj is not supported) or allow the creation of Spec# projects although Spec# projects do appear in the list of project types that I can create (File->New->Project).

Rosemary

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Mike and I tried re-install on a machine, which still works for us.  Previously, we have not placed Spec# under c:\Program Files, but we tried that and it still worked for us.

Here's something you can try.  Start Visual Studio 2008 from the command prompt and give it the /log file, as follows:

devenv /log c:\tmp\MyLog.xml

(where c:\tmp is an existing directory).  Then try opening or creating a Spec# project in VS (which presumably gives you the same error as before).  Then, quite VS.

Now, inspect the MyLog.xml file and search for "Spec#" (and possibly also "SpecSharp").  This .xml file is a binary file, so you'll have to open it in an editor that understands that format, like Notepad or Visual Studio.  We get:

<entry>
    <record>42</record>
    <time>2010/10/14 17:13:45.368</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <source>Microsoft Visual Studio</source>
    <description>Begin package load [Microsoft Spec# Package]</description>
    <guid>{83043D9C-4AAE-4C70-9C52-8AFD6B388CCA}</guid>
  </entry>
  <entry>
    <record>43</record>
    <time>2010/10/14 17:13:45.586</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <description>End package load [Microsoft Spec# Package]</description>
  </entry>

What do you get?

By the way, if everything is installed properly, then you should see:

Microsoft.SpecSharp  1.0.21126.0

in the "Installed products" box from Help->About in Visual Studio.

Rustan and Mike

Developer
Oct 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I have exactly the same installation  (13 Oct) installation on an XP and a Win 7 machine. The XP version installs with VS2008 allowing me to open existing projects but not create them.

The Windows 7 machine does not even install Spec# with VS. When I  go to "Installed products" in Help->About in Visual Studio Spec# does not appear (on the windows 7 machine) .

The Spec# components of the  xml file generated by devenv /log c:\tmp\MyLog.xml on the Xp machine is:

<entry>
    <record>40</record>
    <time>2010/10/14 18:10:17.968</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <description>Begin package load [Microsoft Spec# Package]</description>
  </entry>

<entry>
    <record>44</record>
    <time>2010/10/14 18:10:18.125</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <description>End package load [Microsoft Spec# Package]</description>
  </entry>

Rosemary

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Neither SpecSharp nor Spec# appear in the log file. There are one error and 3 warnings in the log, such as these:

<entry>
    <record>10</record>
    <time>2010/10/18 14:54:17.325</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>Error checking App Path</description>
    <hr>80070005 - E_ACCESSDENIED</hr>
  </entry>
  <entry>  
  <entry>
    <record>56</record>
    <time>2010/10/18 14:54:51.366</time>
    <type>Warning</type>
    <description>Appid skipped the loading of package</description>
    <guid>{DA85543E-97EC-4478-90EC-45CBCB4FA5C1}</guid>
  </entry>

The complete log is quite lengthy.
Boris
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2010 at 3:11 AM

Boris, can you retry the installation and this time pick another path to install it under? Something that is *not* under C:\Program Files?

I'm really sorry you are having all of these issues. I really wish I could repro the problem on my machine so I could come up with a solution for you.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I've installed Spec# in C:\. The same problems as before: VS complains that files of type .sscproj aren't supported. Neither can I open Spec# projects nor created new ones, although Spec# projects do appear in the list of project types (File->New->Project). I've installed Spec# as admin and use it as normal user.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Can you check that log with the regasm command again and see if you have those same errors you had last time? This is getting totally ridiculous. I am so sorry you're having such problems.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM

As before, neither SpecSharp nor Spec# appear in the log file. Also, Spec# isn't listed in the "Installed products" box from Help->About in Visual Studio. I previously executed Register.cmd as administrator. There are various entries in the registry about Spec*, some of them point to C:\Program Files\Spec#\bin, which doesn't exists now that I've installed Spec# in C:\.

The log contains those same errors I had last time. I sent it to Rustan but he's out of office until Nov 15.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Meanwhile. I've installed the nighly build that Peter submitted a few days ago. Now I can create Spec# projects, but only as Administrator. I have the same problems as before If I log in as normal user. I verifified that i have read & execute permissions for C:\sscboogie, its subdirectories and the files in templates.

I installed Spec# as Administrator, ie I logged in as Administrator, unzipped the files and ran register.cmd from a VS command shell as Administrator.

Developer
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM
A post by alex on

http://specsharp.codeplex.com/discussions/230181

suggests that our problems with a lack of Spec# projects in VS 2008 happened in VS 2010 and the problem is now fixed.

----- Original Message -----
Date: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:11
Subject: Re: Installation problem [specsharp:227607]
To: [email removed]

>

> Boris, can you retry the installation and this time pick another path to install it under? Something that is *not* under C:\Program Files?

> I'm really sorry you are having all of these issues. I really wish I could repro the problem on my machine so I could come up with a solution for you.

> >

Rosemary Monahan
Department of Computer Science
National University of Ireland Maynooth,
Maynooth,
Co. Kildare,
Ireland

Tel: +353-1-7083463